Linux distributions without systemd/unlisted
Distributions not listed on Linux distributions without systemd due to EOL / dormant status / Other.
- Amazon Linux AMI ~~ ref: aws.amazon.com/amazon-linux-2/faqs/ ~~ version 2 now includes systemd service and systems manager
- ArchBang (current release uses systemd init)
OpenRC; openbox WM, uses JACK instead of PulseAudio
- "Endian Firewall (EFW) Community"DW based on RHEL. Is the new EFWCommunity release systemd-free?
- OpenELEC ref: GitHub (wikipedia "OpenELEC 4.0 switched its init system to systemd")
- Arch OpenRC ~~ discontinued (see Linux distributions#Artix Linux) ~~ (2) (based on Arch Linux) using eudev + OpenRC
- CeroWrt (project has been supplanted by LEDE) ref: www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/
- Damn Small Linux : no longer developed, but forum is still active DamnSmallLinux forum
- Debian GNU/kFreeBSD ~~ limbo / defunct ~~ Ref: wikipedia and debian-devel-announce mailinglist
- Devil-Linux (firewall distro) ~~ no longer maintained ~~ (ref: https://sourceforge.net/p/devil-linux/mailman/message/36180923/ )
- IPCop Firewall i486 (no mailinglist activity: https://sourceforge.net/p/ipcop/mailman/ )
- LiMux abandoned ~~ 404 not found ~~ the Linux distributon used by the city of Munich.
- Openwall GNU/Linux (Owl) ~~ defunct? (no mailinglist activiy since 2016) ~~ i586, i686, x86_64 (files last uploaded to ibiblio in Feb 2017)
- Overclockix dw (architecture: i386, x86_64) based on Debian 7; Project forum: @overclockers.com (latest release: 2015)
- Manjaro OpenRC ~~ discontinued (per sf.net page) ~~ Forum Wiki -----} see Linux distributions#Artix Linux
- Mepis is several years defunct. Its 2 descendants ("MX Linux" and "antiX Linux") are listed on mainPage here
- Musix GNU/Linux ~~ EOL ~~ musixdistro.wordpress.com (based on Debian 7) Latest release: 2014
- RLSD ~~ unavailable ~~ (http://rlsd3.dimakrasner.com/repo Across repeated attempts, "repo" is unavilable) x86, x86_64
- Simplicity Linux defunct(based on Puppy Linux) LXDE desktop; SysVinit. Supported architectures: i386
- sta.li (2)(3)(musl libc) x86_64, armhf. Since Feb 2018, the "sta.li" site returns "403 Forbidden" and link is now absent from suckless wikipedia.org/wiki/Suckless.org page
Unconfirmed / unmaintained rolling
- DeLi(cate) Linux (legacy hardware) linux kernel 2.4 ...forum is unmaintained, overrun with spam
- Dynebolic FSF-approved geared toward users engaged in multimedia production ~~ based on EOL debian "wheezy"
Elive Linux(2)(3)(aka Enlightenment live CD) sysV init; Enlightenment WM; i486 ~~ based on EOL debian "wheezy"
- Free of Boxes a live-ony image distribution (based on Debian 9) XFCE desktop; subsequent to announcement and isos posted to sourceforge.net, no indication of further activity
- GNUinos a Libre distribution; openbox wm; amd64, i686 (based on Devuan) project page disclaims: "current state of Gnuinos is ALPHA2 meaning not ready for production")
- ...........(April 2018: bumped from MainPaige) guinos project page still states ALPHA; gitlab "repo"(2) contains files which are 3yrs stale; "apt repo" is a dead link
- Kwort Linux (2) (based on CRUX) Uses BSD-style initscripts; x86_64 downloads page is 403Forbidden; no mailing list activity past year
- TRIOS Mia OpenRC/ZFS rolling release; (based on Debian Jessie) XFCE4 wm, rEFInd EFI manager, OpenRC init Stalled, or still maintained as a "rolling release"?
- Vine Linux (Jan2018 release of a longstanding Japanese-centric project, currently listed on MainPage) init: upstart (ref: "Maintain upstart, move to eudev (Measures until future systemd transition")
Alpha status projects / respin projects
A "respin" consists of a forum thread, plus 2 users..., no freestanding website, no self-maintained repository (or an unsupported iso uploaded to sourceforge) is unrecognizable as a serious project, let alone a distinct "Operating System".
- Alien-OS MNML 2 (based on Devuan) Live CD; openbox WM ~~ no docs, no support contact, no activity since the initial announcement
- Alfheim Linux (2) (based on Arch Linux) OpenRC init, Openbox; beta status (not yet viable) as of Jan 2018
- ArchivistaBox AVMultimedia (2)(3) (based on Devuan) RAM-based Linux distribution for managing digital content
- CloverOS OpenRC; FVWM or, at boot, install and load any DE/WM via ~/.bash_profile (website's pages are empty "placeholder")
- CROWZ (based on Devuan) Fluxbox, Openbox, JWM ref:no end user support, just respin isos posted to sourceforge.net
- FigOS (aka Refractapup)(based on Refracta) ~~ no end user support, just iso images posted to archive.org
- GaryOS (2) Based on Funtoo/Gentoo; x86 platforms (64-bit and 32-bit)
- Good Life Linux (based on Devuan) ~~ respin isos posted to sourceforge; sf page points to archive.org page. No end user support/discussion.
- LinuxBBQ (2) project with multiple niche releases, highlighting various lesser-known window managers
- MiyoLinux (based on Devuan) Openbox or i3 window manager; iso posted to sourceforge, no contact info, no end user support
- Nelum-Dev1 (based on Devuan) Openbox, XFCE, or MATE desktop ~~ respin isos posted to sourceforge. No response to support inquiries during past year
- PostX (based on Debian 8 "Jessie") OpenRC; openbox wm. An interesting respin, but not recognizable as a distinct "FOSS operating system"
- Star Linux (based on Devuan) ships XFCE, Fluxbox, Openbox, Jwm, i3. ref: ~~ no dev contact info, no end user support, just iso images posted to sourceforge.
- VeGNUli (2)(3) (based on Devuan) the 1.X series uses sysV init
Self-proclaimed "Just projects"
- PrRescue (Gentoo-based) rescue cd supporting nilfs2 and btrfs; architectures: i686, amd64 ref: "prrescue was created in my spare time for my own use !"
- Spark Linux (sinit init) Arch Linux without systemd, to be appended into existing pacman; no ISO distro available. ref: "a personal project made to fit my personal tastes. I do not promise to provide support to you."
- Vuu-Do Linux (based on Devuan) Openbox or MATE desktop its dev has stated: "Vuu-do is not a distro. It is a project, a user re-spin. It is not really suitable to be widely distributed"